Contents of Spencer's 1936 Cedar Chest Vancouver Jubilee
A package from the Vancouver Pioneers' Association Archives
deposited by Judge J. A. Forin, Historian with written instructions:
Deposited with D. Spencer Coy for the Chest to be
opened in 1986, J. A. Forin, archivist of Pioneers Association.
- Declaration, Constitution and By-Laws of the Vancouver
Pioneers' Association, incorporated in 1926-27.
- List of Granville [Vancouver] pioneers 1882, compiled
by the late W. D. Burdis. (over 125 names and occupations
of "Pioneers of Granville" plus societies, industries,
- The steamer Skuzzy and Captain W. Holmes own
account of a trip through Hell's Gate on the steamer.
- Remarks by Rev. E. D. McLaren, D.D. titled Optimistic
Speech by Pioneer Pastor, transcribed from The
- A 1914 photograph of an 1877 CPR surveying party's tree
blaze found about "85 miles north of Ashcroft".
- A January 6, 1937 list of Past Presidents, Vancouver
Pioneers Association, starting from 1912
- Photograph of the Executive Committee taken at Port
Moody, July 3, 1936.
- Account of Pioneers' Annual Dinner written in the News-Herald
of November 28, 1936.
- Photograph and biographical sketch of John W. Coburn,
member of the Executive Committee.
- Photograph and biographical sketch of Judge John Andrew
Forin, Past President (1932). He served in the Riel Rebellion
of 1885 with the Q. O. R. of Toronto.
- Photograph and biographical sketch of Fred Huson Smith,
member of the Executive.
- Photograph and biographical sketch of Charles Henry
Wilson, member of the Executive.
- Biographical sketches of J. K. McKenzie, William Carey
Ditmars, William H. Evans.
- Photograph of the Rt. Hon. R. B. Bennett, W. H. Evans
(Past Pres.), F. A. Barnhart, G. G. McGeer, taken at Port
Moody July 3, 1936 commemorating the fiftieth anniversary
of the arrival of the first transcontinental train, with
Evans as engineer and Barnhart as conductor.
- Sunday, June 14th, 1936 Commemorative Service at St.
Andrews-Wesley United church, Rev. E. D. Braden.
- Photograph and biographical sketch of Captain William
Vice President, 1936.
- An 1894 list of members of the Vancouver Pioneer Society
which was organized in 1893.
- The Town Pump, some early Vancouver historical
anecdotes from Province, June 12, 1935.
- Photograph and biographical sketch of John Henry Cocking,
- Autobiographical sketch of Alexander Mitchell, Past
A box of letters (surnames of senders in bold)
- An October 18, 1936 letter from a grade 11 student
in Magee High School, Miram Renwick, expressing
her hopes and plans for the future.
- An October 1836 letter from Mrs. A. Willey of
Lynn Creek to her grandchildren with some lessons in life.
- An October 1936 letter from Annie Willey expressing
satisfaction with her life.
- An August 14, 1936 letter from 11 year old Archie Abernathy
with all the latest news about his family.
- An apparent class project. The students of Lord Nelson
Elementary School wrote letters to Russell Cumming, a
fellow student who was holidaying or living in England
and someone with whom the students were quite familiar.
The letters from 35 students, many of whom were sunburned,
were written in May and June 1936. Those who wrote letters
with all the latest news from their class were:
Jack Baillie, Doreen Beale,
Doreen Black, Stanley Boast, Mavis Botwright,
Tommy Bradley, Billie Chambers, Winnie
M. Chambers, Edward Dallamore, Florence
(no last name), Catherine Fraser, Lloyd Hamilton,
June Hasagawa, Jeanette (no last name), Jimmy
Imlach, Esther McAnges, Joy McCullough,
Kenneth McKay, Jean MacMillan, Mitsu Ohara,
Doris Oldaker, Johan Peens, Bobby Peigh,
Donnie Upham, Ulva Rennie, Jean Robertson,
Hector Sanderson, Joan Scrimgeour, Dick
Smith, June Sproul, Ray Takeuchi,
Andrew Valente, Bobby Wilson, Hazel Wilson,
- Newspaper clipping from Violet Barlow, Vancouver's
Jubilee Queen, 1936 from Ms. Barlow.
- Notice of Assessment Office Hearing for M. L. Eastham
- An August 31, 1936 letter to David Spencer from John
Dunsmuir thanking D. S. for his support in making
the Parade of Progress a success
- A September 17, 1936 letter and photograph from Billy
Waddell, a grade 3 student
- An October 26, 1936 unsigned letter to the Mayor of
Vancouver enclosing a David Spencer merchandise coupon,
expressing the hope that in 1986, the then Mayor will
not be issuing relief scripts.
- 1936 Issue of stamps, submitted October 17, 1936 by
Mr. & Mrs. A. T. Hewer (Hewes?)
- A picture of Spencer's Float likely submitted by Miss
- An undated letter with a biography and picture of 10
year old Hilda Ruchings.
- An August 16, 1936 letter from 10 year old Betty Caldwell
from Endako giving all the latest news.
- An overdue David Spencer bill to Mr. F. Eastham
- Several clippings for the International Order of the
Kings Daughters and Sons.
- Several empty envelopes, including one from the White
House, Washington, D. C.
- A Letter to the Editor of the Vancouver Sun in
1986, from, Herbert Sallans, the Editor of the
Sun in 1936
- 24 photos (8x10) taken between 1926-34
of interior shots of Spencer's, inside displays, window
displays, cafeteria, etc, as well as aerial shots of Vancouver
- Another package of 7 photos of inside shots of Spencer's
- Oldest members of David Spencer Limited Staff, taken
on the occasion of the store's Diamond Jubilee, 1933.
- A spring 1917 Victoria B. C. framed photo of the Spencer
Gold Wedding Group
- David Spencer employees who served in 1914-18 and called
themselves The Remnants and whose job it was
to raise money to send a delegation to the opening of
the Canadian Memorial at Vimy.
- An April 1940 photograph of David Spencer employees
who had managed to buy gasoline during a gasoline strike
- A 1936 photo of Violet Barlow, Vancouver's Jubilee Queen
- Vancouver South Junior Band, the official Golden Jubilee
- An undated, unnamed picture of a nurse, probably at
turn of century
- Autographed photo of G. G. McGeer, Mayor of Vancouver
- Hair dressing model of 1936
Spencer's In-House Journals and Catalogues
- December 1925 Christmas Number Store Topics
- April 1927 Store Topics
- June 1927 Store Topics
- October-November 1927 Store Topics
- October 1928 Store Topics
- Spencer's Home Maker's Bungalow (no date)
- 1936 Spencer's Fall and Winter Catalogue
- 5 doubled sided pages of advertising for Universal
Vancouver Golden Jubilee souvenirs
- Records of the Women's Division Activities, July 1st
to Sept. 7th, 1936:
- April 6, 1936 Meeting of Women's Division, Vancouver
Jubilee Committee, Minutes and Committee heads.
- June 12, 1936 Coming of Age program,
Sponsored by the Women's Division Vancouver Golden
- 1936 Certificate of Coming of Age, 1915-1936
- About 600 names of male and female Recipients for
Coming of Age Certificates.
- June 22, 1936 programme for King Edward's Birthday
Party Cabaret, B. C. Cancer Foundation Fund Benefit,
arranged by the Women's Division of the Golden Jubilee
- June 22, 1936 ticket for Cancer Benefit at Hotel
- June 22, 1936 photograph of Cabaret birthday cake
- July 8, 1936 ticket for Women's Division Golden
Jubilee Gardens Beautiful Tours and Tea
- July 24, 1936 Programme of Golden Jubilee Luncheon,
- July 24, 1936 ticket for Golden Jubilee Luncheon
- Place Card for Golden Jubilee Luncheon
- August 7, 1936 Exhibition of Handicrafts, Winter
Gardens (participating organizations)
- August 7, 1936 ticket for Home Craft Festival
- August 18, 1936 Report of B. C. Artists' Golden
Jubilee Exhibition held at the Store of David Spencer
- August 19, 1936 programme for Dinner - Musicale
in Honour of Lady Vincent, Lady Mayoress of the City
of London, England
- August 19, 1936 ticket for Dinner - Musicale for
- August 28, 1936 ticket for Reception and Tea with
Her Excellency, Lady Tweedsmuir at the Hotel Vancouver
- September 3, 1936 Minutes of a General Meeting of
the Women's Division of the Golden Jubilee Committee
- Women's Division, Golden Jubilee Organizations
- The Jubilee March, the Official Theme Song
- Vancouver Jubilee giant poster
- Exhibit of Replicas of the Crown Jewels of England
- June 28, 1936 Vancouver Golden Jubilee Service program
- Official Souvenir Program
- Kiwanis Jubilee Song Sheet
- A Souvenir of Golden Jubilee Year 1936 (a book of photographs)
- Golden Jubilee Official Pictorial Souvenir Programme
- P. O. Pot-Pourri Souvenir Number (Post Office
- April 25, 1936 edition of the Vancouver Sun -
Celebrating Vancouver's Fiftieth Anniversary.
- May 21, 1936 edition of the Vancouver Daily Province
with a Golden Jubilee Supplement
- June 30, 1936 special pull-out section of the Vancouver
Sun - Golden Jubilee Opening.
- July 27, 1936 Daily Telegraph pull out section
titled The King's Tribute to Canadian Valour on
Vimy Ridge from Mr. Noble of Capilano sent by Miss
Hawksworth-Wheeler of Folkestone, England
- November 14, 1936 edition of the Sunday Sun
section of the Vancouver Sun.
- May 27, 1939 edition of the Vancouver Sun honouring
visit by King and Queen.
The Opening of City Hall
- Official programme of the December 4, 1936 opening
ceremony of the new City HallRadio Station C.K.W.X cue
sheet and script (for opening of City Hall)
- An August 19, 1936 invitation from the Mayor and Mrs.
G. G. McGeer to attend a garden party in honour of the
Lord Mayor of London.
- An August 20, 1936 invitation from the Mayor and Board
of Aldermen to meet with the Lord Mayor of London in the
Crystal Ballroom, Hotel Vancouver.
- An August 20, 1936 invitation from the Mayor and Board
of Aldermen to an unveiling of the statue of George Vancouver
by the Lord Mayor of London
Odds and Sods
- Report of the Traffic Safety Committee of The Vancouver
Junior Chamber of Civic Affairs on the Traffic Safety
- The Times Map of Abyssinia
- Flyer for Chrysler Motors De Soto Six car for $845
- August 22, 1936 (mouse chewed) copy of Radio Week
- The Eucharistic Congress, Official Souvenir Book,
1936, published by the British Columbia Catholic
- British Columbia Coast Guide 1936
- September 1936 Province single page edition
of Business Conditions in British Columbia
- Corporation of the City of Vancouver British Columbia
Financial Statements and Annual Reports for the year ended
December 31st, 1935
- Two notated aerial maps of Vancouver
- Six This Week in Vancouver, (covering July-October,
- 1936 edition of 1000 Facts about Vancouver, British
- Travel folder for the Queen Mary
- Three May 1936 editions of the Ocean Times,
published aboard the Queen Mary with contemporary
- A program, dated May 20th, 1910, for the Open Air Memorial
Service for Edward VII
Click here to view
photographs from the
Time Capsule Unveiling on Nov. 20, 2006 at SFU's Harbor
Centre Campus, 515 West Hastings, Room 1500.
Click here for more
information about Spencer's
1936 Cedar Chest Vancouver Jubilee Time Capsule